Thursday 5 November 2015

Remember Remember the Fifth of November


Today is November 5th, which in England equates to Guy Fawkes Night; or Bonfire night as we mostly call it nowadays. For many people the tradition, and meaning behind it, is not of importance. Our little Island loves any excuse for a celebration and a drink let's admit it.

I personally have lots of lovely memories of going to the local firework displays with my friends. It would be a calendar event, pencilled in for weeks, where we would pre-plan our outfits.... because you never knew who would be there. (I'll add in here that we did go to an all girl's school from 11-16, so a sighting of a boy was pretty exciting back then!) If memory serves me correctly we used to have our planning discussions mainly during textiles lessons where we could get away with it. 

Despite it always being muddy and freezing on the evening, and always having to change last minute from my new boots to a boring pair of wellies (ruining my planned look), we used to have a lot of fun with our sparklers and seeing if we could bag ourselves a sneaky drink too.

This evening however I am curled up on the sofa with a glass of wine and a bag of minstrels, watching Don't Tell the Bride. I have 3 little dogs who tend to be a little frightened of the fireworks, so picture me with the occasional dog climbing up my arm too or sitting on my head!
I won't be missing out on the action entirely though, I have tickets to a big display this Saturday which I'm very much looking forward to. With the promise of there being funfair rides at the event, all I can think about at the moment is candyfloss, I hope they will have some!

Enjoy the fireworks everyone :)




SHARE:

1 comment

  1. We used to always do the local firework event as well! Was definitely always a big night out for us. We haven't done much tonight either, watched some from the roof! x

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete

© Pennies and Feathers. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig