Tuesday 4 October 2016

Learning As An Adult




Sometimes I feel as though my brain needs to be used more and challenged. I'm not sure whether anyone else feels this way too? My teenage self would probably never have believe that when I was older I would actually want to learn. I never disliked school, I was a happy child and always did my homework. However like most children I much preferred the weekends and lunchtimes where I could have fun with my friends.
It's a strange thing that as you get older, and no longer have to learn, you are suddenly much more interested in the world around you and gaining skills.
This has certainly happened to me, although I will definitely not be choosing to study anything that involves essay writing...no thank you!
Instead I have, just this week, decided to start learning a new skill that is purely for fun..a new hobby. This hobby is tap dancing.

I grew up dancing since the age of 3. I attended weekly ballet lessons until I was around 17 and then completed a dance A Level and performing arts AS Level. I trained at the Pineapple Performing Arts School when I left college and I just loved it.
My mum had been the same, and any chance we got to go to the West End to see a musical, we would be there.

Since training in makeup, my dancing just stopped. I decided that it wasn't to be something I was going to continue into a career, so that was it. No more classes.
Ever since then, whenever I see a show, I get all the feels back. I yearn to perform again and be on a stage, but for some reason I haven't done anything about it.
I guess I felt as though once you are an adult you can't go back to the classroom and if it isn't a career then what is the point?

This, I have just realised is such a bad attitude to have. I have felt as though I am missing a hobby for a long time, and the chance to learn something new. So when one of my best friends mentioned that she too had wanted to learn tap, it seemed like the perfect chance.

Tap was the one style of dance that I have never tried before so I am a complete novice but a very keen one too. Yesterday was our first lesson and I'm happy to report that I loved it. It was hard work (trust me!) but also super exciting, and a great feeling to get my brain activated again.

I guess I just wanted to share that it's never too late to learn something new and start a new hobby. It's important for our mental health too; keeping those clogs turning and also releasing much needed endorphins. It is something that I definitely needed and am really excited to see how I progress.
Falling in love is a wonderful process and it doesn't just have to be with a person. See what new loves you can bring into your life and enrich it. Go and try the thing that you have always wanted to and you never know where it might lead you...



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Pennies and Feathers. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig